72 Educational Institutions / 1000+ Schools hit by Ransomware in 2019
What is this banner on my email about?
Our email system will add the banner above to any and all email that does NOT come from our school district. So if you receive an email that claims to be from someone at the district and has an @coos-bay.k12.or.us email but has this banner, it is NOT from them or their @coos-bay.k12.or.us account.
PLEASE USE CAUTION with ALL email and SLOW DOWN. Especially when they want you to click links, have attachments, or ask you to provide information.
Interesting article about this past years’ attacks if you are interested:
Everyone in our organization plays a role in making sure our information and networks are protected
Email Do's and Don'ts
- Send passwords or any sensitive information via email.
- Click on “verify your account” or “login” links in any email
- Reply to, click on links in, or open attachments in an email unless it’s from a known, trused, and verified sender.
- Call a phone number in an unsolicited email or give sensitive data to a caller.
- Be cautious about opening attachments, even from trusted senders.
- Look carefully at the URLs of sites where you are being sent.
- Look carefully at the full email address of senders.
- Alert IT if you feel that an email is not safe. We are happy to let you know one way or the other.